Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Happy 4th of July

We had a pretty quiet 4th of July this year. It started off very early with a trip to the airport to drop daddy off at work. Since we were up early, Bergen and I stopped at a nearby high school to eat the free breakfast and cheer on the 5K runners. We didn't know anyone, but it was fun to be outside and listen to the music. Bergen even had fun running the home stretch of the race.
There was an ice chest full of cold water bottles for runners as they crossed the finish line. Bergen was fascinated with this, and one of the workers was fascinated with Bergen. The worker was so nice to Bergen and let him help. People were surprised to have Bergen hand them the water and lots of people thought he was really cute.
After a quiet afternoon at home and a nap, Bergen and I headed back out for the Trophy Club city activities. It was fun to unexpectedly run into lots of friends that evening. There was bounce houses and free swimming. Since it was just me and we were planning on staying late for the fireworks, I didn't want to bother with all the swimming gear. Instead I figured we would just do the bounce houses. I paid the $3 for Bergen's wristband, and he spent all of about 4 minutes in the bounce houses, just enough time to snap two pictures.
After a little while he refused to even go back into the bounce houses (some lady said he couldn't wear the necklace he was wearing and I think she scared him). So we went to the pool area where I knew some friends were. It took all of about 5 seconds and Bergen was off in the water (I barely had time to pull his shirt off), happy as a clam to be swimming! Look at him! Clothes and all :) He didn't mind one bit that I didn't have his swimsuit, yet I sat on the side feeling like a horrible mom, almost in tears, because I had gotten it all wrong. I shouldn't have wasted the money and I should've just planned on swimming. I finally got over it and could enjoy watching him play...but next year we will just do the swimming!
Bergen with his friend Jordan, "simming." His regular diaper and shorts were barely hanging on so a friend let us borrow an extra swim diaper, and that's what he swam in the rest of the evening.
The pool stayed open till dark. After that we got dried off, found a piece of lawn, and enjoyed a great fireworks show. Bergen only had a dry shirt to wear, but he didn't seem to mind...although I still feel kind of bad about the whole thing. Oh well, next time!
Here's a fun picture of us watching the fireworks. I especially love my horns :) Bergen really liked the fireworks. He kept saying, "wooooow!"
Despite Daddy being gone, and me feeling bad about the swim stuff, we had a fun day. I always love the 4th of July.

2 comments:

Beth said...

1. I think it's awesome you went to the race at the high school and got free breakfast even though you didn't know anyone there.

2. Fun 4th!

Emily said...

Don't you love when you think you have everything so well planned out, only to realize it isn't going to go that way at all? Glad you had fun anyway!