Sunday, June 3, 2012

Date Night on the Lake

Several months ago our ward did a scout auction dinner. The scouts (or their moms) make a dessert to auction off and ward members offer services or other items others can bid for and that money goes to the scouts. I usually go and pay my $5 or $10 for dinner and feel that is support enough. Well this year I happened to be sitting at a table that had people who were very willing to spend others money. Before I knew it the "table" had purchased a dessert and I owed $13. It wasn't even a dessert I really wanted to eat. Shortly there after the "table" also bought cake balls. I really don't like cake balls and neither does Travis! So I said that's it! If they are not going to let me just enjoy the pathetic taco dinner and call it good, I might as well buy something I'll enjoy. Teemants were also at the table and when a dinner and boating for 6 people came up we quickly decided we should go for it. So for $80 (split between the two of us) we had ourselves an outing. 

After one reschedule and one close call due to stupid, I mean awesome work, we went on the outing the first weekend in June. We decided not to take the boys and make a date out of it. The two boys had a babysitter at Teemants house, but I think they both wanted to go. After Bergen saw pictures he said he wanted to do that. He also pointed to an empty space in one of the pictures of Travis and I on the boat and said, "that's Bergen right there"...hmmm :) We met the Williams at Grapevine Lake which is about half an hour away. They were RVing there and grilled up some very tasty hamburgers for us at their campsite. Just before sunset we got on the boat and went around the lake for a couple of hours. It was great weather and temperature, relaxing, good company, lots of laughs and joking around, and so much better than watching TV on a Saturday night! Bro. Williams is the kind of person that really gives you a hard time if he likes you. At one point he said when this trip came up again next year, don't buy it! Trying to say he didn't like us, which really meant he really did like us. I said oh I don't know I was thinking we should make it a tradition. He laughed and said we could come anytime. By the end of the night he kept talking about going again and next time bringing the boys, then talked about that again at church the next day. So I guess the Teemants and us weren't so bad afterall. It was also nice to be on a date, something we don't do often enough. Between the auction and the babysitter it was probably one of the most expensive if not THE most expensive date we've ever been on but so much fun!














1 comment:

Beth said...

Cynthia, just say you don't want the desserts! Actually, I sort of felt the same way you did. I wasn't eating chocolate, so I didn't care about the first dessert we got, and then I thought one dessert was plenty so I didn't really want the cake balls either. I like the service auction, though. We just Bro. Miller come tune our piano, which was what we bought at the auction. Glad you at least enjoyed your date!