Saturday, March 6, 2010

College Reunion #2

Almost last minute, 4 of my very best friends and I decided to get together again. This time in Colorado at Emily's place. Thanks to Emily for hosting such a good time! It always amazes me how instantly it seems like we just saw each other yesterday even though we havn't. We spent a lot of time talking (about kids, pregnancy, adoption, crazy dating situations, health, husbands, more kid stuff, and more even crazier dating situations!), catching up, swapping ideas and theories, and of course eating good food!
Eating lunch on Pearl Street in Boulder.
I had to bring Bergen along for the trip and he was a pretty good trooper (except for that one night. Urrg! Of course he didn't make a peep the night everyone else left!). Even if he is up with teeth pushing through, who could not be happy with this face :)
You forget how cold the cold really is when you're not living in it! Bergen bundled up. By the end of our outing, he also had another blanket covering him and a layer of snow on top of that. Yup, it was totally snowing by the time we went back to Emily's that day.
Emily has this cute little kitchen that Bergen just loved! It was just his size and he could empty the cupboards and baskets over and over again.
Emily takes BEEE-u-tiful pictures. I was excited to have her snap a few of my baby. He was kind of cooperating...kind of :) Can't wait to see them!

The day I was supposed to come home the flights were oversold and I wouldn't have made it. So thankfully Emily let me stay an extra long time. When Travis was done with work that week, he came to Colorado for the very last night and all three of us got to fly home together. That was so much easier!! This is the view from Emily's walking path. Ah, the mountains, beautiful!
Bergen almost made it home awake...but not quite.
Ok, so I was going to say a few words about our flight out there. First of all we checked in 2 minutes too late for our bag to make it on the plane (lesson learned), so we had to wait an extra hour and a half for the next flight. The flight was really full and Bergen and I ended up with a middle seat. Sweet! (Hope you're catching my sarcasm there) The guy to our right had an iPod he was listening to, and the guy to our left pulled out his laptop and was working on that the entire time. Needless to say those are both things Bergen just wants to get his hands on! So the whole time I spent trying to keep his little arms and hands within our own two foot square, but that's really hard! A couple of times he managed to knock the mouse off the tray, thankfully the passenger was very nice about it. I had snacks (his dinner actually), a few toys, and a couple of books I keep rotating through to try and keep him occupied. Normally I think those things would've done great, but nothing beats a laptop! When the flight attendant asked if I would like something to drink all I could think was, "yes, and where would you like me to put it?" Have I mentioned Bergen's speedy little hands? :) So I asked her for apple juice, filled up the sippy cup (yes it was FULL strength, what else was I going to do with it?) and chugged the rest in one breath. I can't complain too much though because Bergen didn't cry or even get too fussy. When we landed Mr. iPod said, "he did really good. He was a little wiggly though." I kind of chuckled and responded with a yeah, but that's pretty normal for him kind of comment. And Mr. Laptop told Bergen, "it was a pleasure flying next to you." I glad they were both so nice about it, but holy cow were my arms tired!

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I flew with Toby at that exact same age and it was tough! Luckily I had two grandparents there to help me. You're very brave to fly on your own! And thats great you had such nice people next to you...I hated it when people gave me the stink eye when they saw I had a baby. Sounds like you had a fun little excursion!

Dawn said...

one of Jenny's friends few with her little girl and she was crying a lot. The poor thing was doing everything in her power to make her happy and well some lady from a few seats back came up and to her to keep her baby quite and that the whole plane was sick of hearing her cry. I never few with a small child but I do believe it would be a brave thing to do. I really miss you guys! I love you!

Please Pass the Green said...

What a great surprise to have Travis fly home with you and Bergen! Yay for not traveling alone with a squirmy yet oh-so adorable 9-month-old. The trip to Colorado really was the best. Miss you!!

Karin said...

What a fun trip. I want to get together with my girl friends.