Sunday, May 22, 2011

Airplane Cake

An airplane cake seemed appropriate for Bergen's birthday this year. So what do I do? I enlist the help of my sister Helen, since she was here visiting, and spend hours and hours staying up way past my bedtime, painting little wooden airplanes, molding airheads into the desired shape, baking cakes, making buttercream frosting (thankfully Helen took care of all the taste testing to ensure we had the correct flavor), frosting the double layer cake, and then decorating the cake. I kept asking why we were doing this because well, at those late hours it just seemed a little crazy and possibly extreme for a little 2 year old, but Helen kept reminding me because we were having fun. And it's true, it was fun to do something special for Bergen, it was fun to spend that time with Helen, and I couldn't have been happier with the results! I only wish Bergen's birthday wouldn't have been a bad weather day because it made getting good natural light to take a picture-perfect picture pretty much impossible. Almost so much so I didn't want to cut it that day just so I could try taking another picture of it the next day. Silly I know!


Like I said, I think it was a complete success and made for one smiley little boy!

1 comment:

Please Pass the Green said...

Cyn, you're amazing. I know I've said this already about this cake, but you are so creative and take time to make whatever you do beautiful. Looks so fun! High five.