Monday, October 8, 2012

Job Chart and A Special Lesson

A cute little job or chore chart is something that's been in the back of my mind for a long time now. But not just any chart, something really cute and something that in reality would take me hours and maybe even days to complete. 

Well one day after getting a pack of markers for Bergen to use on his dry erase board I decided to draw some picture job for him to do and cross off. This simple little thing works wonders! He loves it and responds really well to it. It's great for getting him going in the mornings in a direction other than TV, or for helping to get us out the door because he has to do his "jobs" before we can do those other things. We don't use it every day, but there have been days that I've said he needed to do some jobs first and he's ran for the board on his own so I could make his jobs.

Here is a sampling of his "jobs." Getting dressed, making his bed, and eating are regulars. He usually gets some kind of chore like putting away books or toys, and at the least a chore I need to do that day and he's supposed to help me with it, like laundry or vacuuming. And sometimes he gets a fun thing, like doing cars, Mr. Potato Head, a craft or baking project. Since this works so nicely I will probably eventually forget about the real chore chart and save myself the effort and potential unfinished project.


..........

One night as we were finishing up dinner I suggested to Bergen we all play a game together. He was excited and desperately needed to find his Buzz Lightyear chair. I wasn't sure why but he had to have it. He brought it in from the garage and set it up. While we were cleaning up dinner he got out the church spiral picture books and opened one to a picture of Jesus. He had us sit on the couch. From his chair across from us he proceeded to give us a lesson, say a prayer, and sing a song. I guess the only time we all play a board type game together is after FHE. So when I asked if he wanted to play a game, in his mind we were having home evening. Which would explain the Buzz chair because somehow that has become his spot for home evening lessons. We are still pitifully trying to make this a habit in our home, but it did make me feel good that we have at least done it enough times that he knows how it goes. A very fun moment for us "trying to do good" parents.


1 comment:

Helen said...

Those are very nice drawings for him to just cross off. Maybe if my drawings were better I could do it this way too. Since this is a project that has been on my to do list for over a year.