Saturday, February 5, 2011

Winter Storm

This week has been the coldest it's been in 15 years. Schools and most of the area has been pretty much closed down for 4 days. Monday I actually did some shopping in anticipation of the storm and I'm glad I did. Tuesday our garage was frozen shut and there was snow and several inches of ice covering the ground. The airport shut down and so did most of the metroplex. Wednesday wasn't much better, and Thursday we got more snow. Travis did manage to slide to the airport on Thursday so he could head to work. The 25 minute drive took him an hour and a half. It's been pretty crazy out there but I'm happy to say Bergen and I stayed nice and warm inside and have survived 5 days without leaving home.

Tuesday Bergen wasn't taking no for an answer to go outside. So finally we sent him out and he was back in about 30 seconds. Ok I know he isn't well bundled, but we didn't want to be out there so that was kind of the point.
The guilt has been eating at me long enough. Today I spend almost a half hour getting us bundled up and we went out to play in the snow. Glad I did too because it's finally above freezing temperatures and the snow is melting fast! Bergen's got 2 pairs of socks pulled up to his knees, a shirt, footie pajamas, jeans, two jackets and gloves (it was the best I could come up with).
And for footwear...to accommodate the extra layers, a pair of 3 sizes too big Sunday shoes I had packed away in the closet. And a good thing too because nothing else was working. I'm happy to report his feet stayed dry AND warm!

He's got the snowball down. See steps 1-4 below: find good snow, pick it up, bring the arm back, and launch.
Humans must be born with this intuition because I did NOT show him! He did it all on his own! I was cracking up and he thought it was really funny to feed me the snow. After this initial test Bergen would put the snow in his mouth but spit it out. Must have been too cold :)
'No-min" building...
...and "no-min" throwing.


We were out there for almost an hour before he wanted to come back in. So glad I finally got the motivation to get us out there and make another fun memory together!
Mommy sure loves her Bergen!
And just like that I've forgotten all about the food that's been purposely thrown onto the floor, the toys that have been dumped out, the fits over not getting to play with a cup and the water spout on the fridge, and the train that made solid contact with my cheek bone while saying prayer. It's nice to have moments to forget these kinds of things...for however long that moment may be :)

7 comments:

Kiera said...

He is so cute! Audrey finally dragged me out into the snow too. I am glad I did, because she was so happy, but I was so glad when we came in!!!

Helen said...

That looks like a fun climbing/slide set what ever you want to call it thing. I like the face plant eating the snow picture. My boys haven't tried eating snow, but they definitely have the snow ball throwing down. We made a little snowman this time around too cause the snow had 2 in of ice on top of it by the time we got to snow man making.

EricB said...

So much for "It only snows once in every few years, if any, in Texas".
I remember playing outside with all you children and thinking what a hassel but them after thinking what a great time we had. Igloos, sled pulling and sliding, three wheel sled pulling and snow men and eating snow. It must be human nature. Cute pictures.

Emily said...

Glad you got out. I loved all the layers you put on him! I always have to get drug out into the snow too (so much work to get ready!), but it's always fun once we're there.

Please Pass the Green said...

Yay for getting out in the snow, Cyn! Remember how we have that photo of us having a "snowball fight"? But it was all staged. Was that because we didn't want to be cold back then too? I would like to hear more about how you reacted to the train smacking your face.

Shannon said...

Hi Cynthia! It's your old friend, Shannon Barker! I saw your dad in the temple the other night and he told me your blog address. I'm so excited to see you and your cute family. It looks like life is treating you well--and you're all grown up! Email me when you get the chance, I'd love to catch up...adelariel(at)yahoo.com

Dawn said...

What a good Mom! Yes, this will be a great memory because there are pictures to prove it. He will love looking back on them!