Friday, April 10, 2009

Throwing The Textbook Out The Window

My textbook pregnancy that is. Last Friday I went in for a regular doctors appointment...and it lasted 3 days long! This is me on Monday happy to be going home.
Long story short, it somehow came up at my appointment that I thought I had had a few contractions lately. From there it's all a bit of a blur, but after being on the monitor for a while in the office, I was sent upstairs because apparently I was having them...every 2-3 minutes! I thought surely I would be going home soon, then I was feeling a little nervous, and then I was scared...I can't have this baby yet, I'm not ready! (Besides, we have dinner plans, and Travis is supposed to work early in the morning!) Over the next three day I had an IV pumping me with magnesium, potassium, and antibiotics, 6 samples of blood taken, a morphine shot, regular doses of procardia in pill form and terbutaline in shot form, a shot of steroids, a sonogram, and a few other things I'll spare you readers from having to read...and that's just the things I can remember :)

I was sent home with instructions to rest and continue taking the terbutaline. Lucky for me I was still allowed to shower, be up for meals, and be on the couch if I wanted. Not too bad really, especially since Travis stayed home from work all week and listened to all my "can you pleases?" Thanks Trav! I love you so so so much!

Today I had a follow up appointment and good news...things checked out well. The doctor has decided to keep me on half bed rest so I can go out and get some things done (for every hour I'm up, spend one hour down) until my next appointment in a week. After that no more restrictions. I'm supposed to keep taking my medicine for about another week and a half. At that point I'll be 36 1/2 weeks and we'll just let things happen on their own. (Now watch, I'll never go into labor and eventually have to be induced!) 


10 comments:

Kiera said...

Oh I am so glad you are on half bed rest!! I bet that makes you happy!! Oh and don't worry, if you have your baby while I'm gone, I will bring you a meal as soon as I get home!! ;)We will try to come visit before we leave too! I can actually call you, because after midnight tonight I have minutes again!

Debbie said...

I hope you can get as much R & R as you can before your little guy comes! I'm way excited for ya!

Matt, Karin, Sienna, Sadie & Tanner said...

Thank you so much for the update. I've been meaning to call you but I didn't want to bother you. I'm glad you're doing well. Call me if you need anything.

Kim said...

I had heard about your bedrest. I am glad that you appear to be past the worst of it. Let me know if you need anything at all.

The "D.C." O's said...

That is nice that you got to wear your own clothes and didn't have to hang out in a hospital gown.:) Glad to hear things are going better. I will call you sometime after I get home, it is a little crazy here.

Alycia said...

i am happy that things are improving. I can't wait to meet the little man!

THE WILCKEN-GUTIERREZ FAMILY said...

I am so glad things are better now. Keep us updated. We are excited to meet the little guy pero no tenemos tanta prisa:)Get some rest.

Sam Rushforth Taggart said...

I'm glad you and the baby are doing well! If it makes you feel better my 2nd kid came at 36 weeks and my 3rd came at 35 and they were perfectly healthy. You are such a cute little prego lady!!!!

Suzanne said...

I'm really glad you didn't have the baby early. I don't know from experience... but Betsy has told me that pre-term labor isn't as painful as full-term labor so it's often hard to detect. I'm just grateful you didn't have the baby early and they caught it at your appt. Good luck with everything!

Tammy said...

Oh goodness, I'm glad they were able to keep you from going into labor. No fun to be on bed rest, at least it is only half. Hope you are feeling better.