Saturday, April 25, 2009

Inadament Objects Don't Have Feelings

If they don't have feelings, why do I think they are as sad to go as I am sad to see them go? In preparation for the baby, we...we...we sold our truck a couple of weeks ago (sniff sniff). Yes, it's true. I cried and was very sad! I also felt like it was sad to leave us. How could it not be...
Here's a sample of what fun crazy memories we have of it :) We loved this thing, and if circumstances had permitted, I would've kept it until it died!
Speaking of dying...we finally took the plunge after many years of consideration, and traded in the Infiniti for a more reliable family car. This is the car Travis got after his mission. He's had it for 10 years! Talk about memories. It's been from Utah to Idaho and back regularly, to California to Virginia, back to Utah, to Oregon and back several times, then to Texas and on to Florida and back. We racked up a mere 181,000 miles in that time. But it was time to say goodbye. The poor paint was peeling, the windshield was cracked, the back bumper was wired on, the radio worked on it's own terms, 2 wheels were bent, the brakes were a little sketchy, the original clutch was bound to go soon, and the transmission was a ticking time bomb. All that being said, I felt bad to leave it, like it thought we were just dumping it! Travis finally convinced me it was old and tired. It had lived a good life and was ready to be done and rest now. That made me feel much better :)

Now that I've divulged my secret that I worry about the feelings of inadament objects, you're probably not surprised to know I had to play equally with all my stuffed animals as a kid because I didn't want any of them to feel left out. Truthfully I thought I would have out grown that kind of thing by now...but I guess not :) 

2 comments:

Please Pass the Green said...

I can totally relate. About a month ago we finally donated our trusty old Tan Van to the kidney society. So sad. I was glad I wasn't home, because I don't think I could've watched. Car heaven for the Infiniti and the Tan Van. I like how Travis said they need a rest after working so hard all these years. That makes it sound like they're going somewhere better.:)

Carlie said...

no way! i totally had to rotate thru my toys, just so no one would have hurt feelings and every toy would feel loved! i don't know if i ever told anyone that....now it is out there for the world to see. but it is true!