Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Checklists

Checklists! I love checklists, to do lists, lists in general. But what I love even more than lists, is crossing things off my list! I have been known to make a list of things to do for myself at the beginning of the day, and if I end up doing something not on my list part way through the day, I'll add that item to my list (even though I've already done it) just so I can cross it off!

Travis was assigned his year's worth of vacation during January (that's another story I'll tell sometime).  So naturally Travis and I made a list of important things we should accomplish so the time didn't just get wasted away. These are some of the things we've been doing...
*  Cleaning up, organizing, and filing papers in the office. Both of our desks are in this room now, so really there was double the cleaning, organizing, and filing. Hmmm, maybe I should've had that on the list twice...Cynthia's half & Travis's half :)
*  Take Travis's uniform clothing to the dry cleaners. I'm under the impression most people he works with do this weekly. Poor Trav, he only gets it yearly. Sorry hun!
*  Reevaluate our insurance carrier. Are we paying to much? Is it time to make a switch? This was all Travis's hard work, calling and comparing. Thanks hun! I hate that kind of stuff. (And just in case you're wondering, it was time for a change.)
* Start painting the bedroom for the baby. 
*  Finish painting the bedroom for the baby. We went crazy in our color choice! Yup, our favorite neutral tan on three walls, and an almost milk chocolate brown on the forth.
*  Find a crib. It's not my favorite and I have permission to keep looking for a trade, but Travis thinks I'm a little picky and kind of hard to please in this department (ok, ok, so I've been known to be picky in a lot of different departments). This way Travis can stop worrying about it because he's been very worried about it, and he can stop checking craigslist everyday because he really has been checking it everyday. Now we have something and that's better than not having anything for when the baby does come. And if I want to keep looking that's fine, but Travis is done looking and me telling him, "Hmmm, probably not that one either." :)
* More shelves. Cut, paint, build, and calk more shelving in our closet...eventually for some extra food storage space. Travis did a great job don't you think?
* Saddest item of all...Get the truck ready and listed to sell. Now if someone would only want to buy it so I can stop dreading the awful day of "goodbye"!
Other items on our list included things like...
*  Sell old TV stand
*  Work on graphic design project (it was a menu for a cafe in Dallas)
*  Get baby gifts for friends and family having babies
*  Make, write, and send some thank you notes
*  Return wrong size of belt and socks to store
*  Work on our 2nd job (insurance billing)
*  Mend pocket ripping on jacket and alter too wide of a neck shirt
*  Pay bills
*  Cut coupons
*  Get groceries
*  Clean bathroom (hey, that's a workout these days)
*  Do dishes (actually, when there's lots of pots to hand wash, that's a workout too!)
*  Vacuum (this hurts my back too much now, so Travis gets this one all to himself...lucky!)

Some of the household chores are regulars on my lists, but I didn't want them to feel left out :) So in a nutshell, this explains what we do at home all day. I think I need a vacation from our vacation...Just kidding! I'm just glad we got so much done!

8 comments:

Kiera said...

I love making lists too! Except, I usually stare at them at the end of the day and get sad because I cross off like one item. So then I stop writing lists so I don't get sad...So maybe I should be more productive and then I will be able to write lists again!

Jenny said...

Wish we could come see you. It seems like the older we get and the more husbands and kids we get (I still only have one of each) we grow farther apart (miles don't help either). So I just wanted to let you know we have been thinking of you. Wish I could come over and do some chores for you. The backache definitely sucks, but it goes away when the belly does. :)

The "D.C." O's said...

I like lists too, I will add something that I have done so I can cross it off too. Do you think the lists come from our summer days of waking up to everyone already having a list? I like seeing all the cereal boxes on your shelf. we are running a little low. I let Brant do the vacuuming too, except when I was over due then I was doing it myself trying to induce myself.:)

Matt, Karin, Sienna, Sadie & Tanner said...

You guys are very organized.

Matt can quote your insurance for you if you want.

When are you going to Utah?

Are you around Saturday? I'll explain later.....

Shane, Meg, CJ, RJ, and AL said...

No wonder we are friends. What you wrote about loving to make lists and check things off feels like I could have written it myself! I love the pictures of what you've been up to. Good job on the shelf Travis! I like the crib! I want to see the chocolate brown wall!

EricB said...

I was going to comment but mom is waiting for me to playtrains.

cynthia said...

Can I comment on my own blog? Well, I'm going to :)

I never thought about this before, but I suppose I should thank mom for instilling in me a love for "list crossing"! I wonder if our kids will dread them as much as we did growing up, only to love them later...hmm, probably :) Thanks mom!

Unfortunately, I've had these backaches since high school track. I'd love for them to go away with the belly...but I won't hold my breath on that one ;)

Great minds and great friends often do think alike!

When mom comes I better not introduce her to any of my friends here that also love "Trains" (Ticket to Ride). I'm afraid she may want them to come over all the time to play...but I guess if she can hold a new baby and play at the same time, while I take a nap then that's ok :)

Anonymous said...

So glad you found a crib, it looks good. I love the paint, so cute! Good job. And I love that you like to do lists, I am obsessed with list making. Nothing could make me feel better than crossing a to do off my long list!